Cholesterol is one of the talked about substances whenever we talk about health. Especially in the case of cardiac health, high cholesterol levels are considered troubling.
Why is cholesterol important?
In general, cholesterol is a wax-like substance that is normally present in our body and is known to play many important roles. Though we often hear top cardiologists talking about how cholesterol is for you it is essentially required to perform many important body functions. Here is the function cholesterol plays in our body.
- Cholesterol plays a role in the formation of body cell membranes, without the presence of cholesterol cells won’t be able to retain their shape.
- Cholesterol is also responsible for the formation of bile in the liver that is responsible for the breakdown of fat we intake via food.
- Cholesterol also plays a role in the synthesis of steroid hormones including hormones for water retention, sexual function, body inflammation, etc.
- The presence of cholesterol is also crucial for our bone health because cholesterol helps to synthesize vitamin D. Vitamin D is crucial for calcium retention and bone density.
Are all Types of Cholesterol Bad for you?
With all these important roles cholesterol plays in our body, excess cholesterol is bad. From clogging your blood vessels to increasing your risk of heart attack, high cholesterol is bad for your heart health in many ways. High cholesterol can adversely affect your heart health but not all cholesterol is bad.
LDL VS HDL
There are three two main types of cholesterol including;
1- LDL (Bad Cholesterol) is the type of cholesterol we all need to be aware of. LDL means low-density proteins and this is the major component of total body cholesterol. LDL cholesterol is the one that increases your risk of heart disease.
2- HDL (Good Cholesterol) is the type of cholesterol that flushes out the excess cholesterol from the body. This type of cholesterol minimizes the risk of heart diseases by aiding the liver to flush out harmful cholesterol.
How to Lower Cholesterol Levels Naturally?
After knowing about cholesterol, let’s know about the ways that can naturally help you to lower your cholesterol. Here are the proven tips and tricks to follow.
1- Let your food do the job
Most of the food we intake is the result of our unhealthy eating habits. By changing the same eating habits you can lower your cholesterol levels naturally. These are the dietary tips to follow;
- Avoid the intake of saturated fats because it can significantly increase your bad cholesterol level.
- Limit your intake of trans fat because consumption of trans fat can increase your total cholesterol level.
- Further, eating foods rich in omega 3 fatty acid as these are heart-healthy and don’t add to your bad cholesterol level.
- Other than that, whey protein is also known to lower the bad cholesterol in the body. Whey protein is naturally found in many dairy products and can impact your heart health.
- Improving your fiber intake can be another way to improve your cholesterol level as the presence of fiber reduces the absorption of cholesterol in the blood.
2- Maintain a healthy weight
An overweight individual is more likely to have high cholesterol. So, if you are overweight, consider shedding a few pounds to naturally lower your cholesterol level. Start with the baby steps and don’t fall prey to fad diets. Start avoiding sugary, fried and other high-calorie food, drink enough water, and try to stay physically active.
3- Consider your lifestyle habits
Your lifestyle habits can play a major role here. If you are suffering from high cholesterol then try quitting smoking and limit your alcohol intake to help you with the
4- Try to be physically active
The physical activity you do can play a key role in lowering your cholesterol levels. You can begin with mild physical activity and a slight move to high-intensity ones with betterment in your stamina. No matter if you prefer walking, running, and jogging, remember consistency is the only one that will work.
5- Keep numbers in check
An important part of cholesterol and heart problem management is the regular monitoring of your health conditions. Get your number checked and monitor the number to be able to take timely action.
Cholesterol, an important food component, is bad for your health in many ways. High cholesterol can be bad for your health in many ways. If you feel that none of these remedies seems to be working for you, then it’s better to seek out help from your physician for timely action.